Monday, October 25, 2010

She's adorable...but what is she talking about?



Cute as they are, perhaps babies aren’t the best source of information about complicated legislative policies.

A recent political attack flier featured an adorable baby accusing me, Andy O'Brien, of voting to tax “the delivery of babies!"

My first reaction was to burst out laughing. "Taxing babies? Now that's a new one," I thought.

I have a 100% voting record, and I am serious about reviewing legislation before voting, so I would have remembered this one! Well, as is typical with these kinds of negative mailings, the intent of the message is not to inform or help disseminate information – it is to attack and mislead.

I voted for a law to make health insurance more affordable by making sure more of your premium dollar goes to paying medical bills, not insurance company profits. [*LD 1204]

I voted for a law to prohibit insurance companies from cutting off your insurance after you get sick. I also voted to continue health insurance for small businesses and families by recouping windfall savings from insurers – savings now used to fund discounts on private insurance policies purchased through Dirigo Health. You can be sure these savings, resulting from more people being insured and fewer getting emergency care without insurance, would otherwise simply go to increase insurance company profits. [*LD 1264 Dirigo Health]

This vote will actually HELP many parents pay for the cost of delivering babies.

There are no easy answers to making health care affordable. We need to work together to find the best solutions, not tear each other down with misleading attack ads. That’s why I have stuck to the facts and stayed positive, no matter how many attack ads have been sent out against me.

I urge you to reject the "potty politics" and lend me your support November 2, so I can continue to work for real health care reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment